Resin + Wood Care and Tips
Now that you have your beautiful new resin board or tray, its important to know how to care for it to keep it shining and lasting a lifetime.
The key to proper board care is understanding the properties of your wood and basic maintenance. Don't worry, its pretty simple and there are just a few basic do's and don'ts.
***Berries and other darkly colored food items WILL stain the wood portion of your board. To avoid this, place those items on the resin portion, or place a piece of wax paper beneath when serving. Also, following these care tips will help prevent that.
- DO dry immediately after washing with a warm, lightly soapy towel. You never want to soak your wood in water and too much soap can dry the wood out.
- DO treat it with oil. Think of it the same way you'd think of your skin. It needs moisturizer to stay soft and supple. Your wooden board needs oil to stay strong and vibrant. The more we wash our boards, the more we draw out the natural oils which makes it prone to splitting and warping. The best way to know when your board is craving oil is to look at the color of the wood. The duller the wood, the more likely it needs to be re-oiled.
- We prefer Walrus Oil for its unique combination of mineral, coconut, vitamin E oils and beeswax + bonus, they have a fabulous Wood Wax for cutting boards that will coat and help prevent stains on your precious board.
- DO periodically rub some lemon juice and baking soda or salt on the wooden portion of your board to help remove any stains and naturally disinfect and deodorize it. Wipe down with warm water after and re-apply your Walrus Oil Oil + Wood Wax for the best conditioned state!
- DO NOT use vegetable or olive oils as these can become rancid and begin to smell.
- DO NOT ever place your board in the dishwasher. Heat and soaking do not go well with a resin board. Wood is a beautiful natural material that has the ability to both bring water into its grain as well as repel it. When too much water gets absorbed by wood, it begins to expand and this is what makes a cutting board warp, bend and crack!
- DO NOT let it soak in water. If you leave it soaking and too much water gets absorbed by the wood, it can and most likely will warp, bend, or begin to crack. Yikes!
- The resin portion of your board or serving tray needs little to no care, aside from wiping down or cleaning with diluted glass cleaner now and then.
- For Coasters- It is NOT recommended to place hot cups on them. Any heat on a resin product can soften the resin and leave markings.
- DO NOT leave any of your RC products outdoors or in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Leaving them exposed to UV light will degrade the color of your beautiful piece and cause yellowing. (Even with our UV resistant resin)
- For Wall Art - It is NOT recommended to hang in a place where they will receive direct sunlight. UV light may still travel through windows and discolor your beautiful piece. Regular dusting and periodic cleaning with a diluted glass cleaner should be all you need to keep your piece shining for many years.
We thank you for your business and hope you enjoy your beautiful piece from The Rustic Craftsman for years to come!